A short week with two days being overcome by snow and ice, but nevertheless ceramics prevails.
I managed to connect my two pieces with handcuffs this week and have been patiently letting them dry. The last couple ended up with a few cracks after I set them up in the kiln room to dry, so this time I put them up on an empty shelf in the hallway and have fully covered them in their black garbage bag- very chic.
In the meantime, I have continued with my clay body temp testers. Its been really cool seeing the ombre and has inspired me to make the entire range, so I threw a couple more of these ugly little guys so I can see cone 06 to cone 6. I am thinking once I pick my favorite 4 or so I will do some material testing, adding resin to the surface, mineral oil, wax, maybe a low fire glaze if I can. Lalana gave me the idea to put a clear glaze on the piece then wipe it away, very curious about doing that it could be perfect for what I am looking for.
From left to right: cone 6, cone 5, cone 4, cone 3.
Definitely getting more excited after 3 came out of the test kiln, I think I'm getting closer the the color range I am searching for. Cone 5 and 6 are totally too dark, considering I will be adding more to the surface, producing a deeper color. I am looking for a nice in-between the orange bisque color and a deep red.
Starting to feel stuck in this process of throwing and sculpting the pieces together. Today I printed out some artists I love and was contemplating how my work looks nothing like theirs. I fear this body of work is a bit too sanitized, even if its been soothing to make for myself that doesn't make it good art. I am making my final few couples for the series with Brian's idea of pieces that do not have a flat bottom/ won't just be placed on a pedestal, so who knows I could fall in love with that concept.
I think I need to get back to my roots and sculpt solid again... just gotta make more clay to do so !
Leave a Reply.