Exciting times in the world of drewsceramics. Ya boy finally finally finished a piece !
My little freaks were joined as one. I ended up building them on the kiln shelf with some patties underneath the feets. Overall height ended up being 2ft4in ! My goal was 3ft but the work ended up being so precarious I am glad it is a bit smaller than that.
I am very happy with the texture this ended up being. I just smoothed the surface a ton with my little red rib. I also took Brian Harper's advice and used the rasp on these to create a nice form with fewer undulation's. Truly no clue how I will finish it. But I was chatting with an artist friend, talking about confused I am with surfacing. And it was so simple but he looks at me and says something like, your work isn't about the surface its about the form. So right. My work is all about the form so why am I letting the surface stress me out ? I might just give it a simple clear glaze or a wisp of clear resin. Just something to make it alive, nothing much. Keep it simple silly.
Divas, here is the result of my cone 10 firing !
my titties turned out absolutely incredible. From left to right is the celedon, liz kraus shino, temples persimmon, and the iron saturate ! I also made one with rutile blue, however I posted it on my story and it immediately sold for $25 hell yeah baby.
Now here are all my bowls... After making 15 only 13 survived the process of the kiln firing. Only 5 out of the 13 turned out as I wanted them to. According to bestie Brian Harper, what happened was I glazed too quickly. Since these are slip-cast bowls they are thin as hell. I pour the mackenzie white into the inside of the bowl. I did that to all 13, then after I finished I dipped the bowls into the Hensley clear to glaze the outside. But because the inside of the bowl it had absorbed a bunch of water, so when I went to glaze the outside the clay wasn't able to absorb the glaze, causing these gross black blisters to form on the outside of the bowls
So I am going to have to remake all of them hahaha. I mean also the underglaze turned green in the firing, which I don't hate but I think I will go back to using the black slip and just spray it instead of brushing it on. I will also do the inside of the bowls. Wait a day, then glaze the outside ! I was rushing this entire process but at least I learned.
This week was a time ! I finished all of my bowls that I wanted to sell. I spent the week making these bowls. I created 15 bowls, used a black underglaze. and then carved all my little friends. I also made some classic titty pots for the sale coming soon !
Now I glazed all my little children. I did the titties in the rutile blue, temples persimmon, celedon, iron saturate, liz kraus shino. The bowls got mackenzie white on the inside and hensley clear on the outside. I packed my darling lil eddie ! I was very proud of myself for firing the boy completely alone.
Now I did make a silly goose mistake and I originally was looking at celsius instead of fahrenheit ! BUT once GH came in he pointed that out to me and I immediately needed to put the kiln into reduction. Overall, I was happy with the firing.
* photo credit to Molly
the left is my first solo firing that I did for Lalana/the studio. The one on the right is my most recent firing! It was pretty much perfectly fired if I do say so myself. Cone 10 is down with 11 just beginning to bend !