This week to be honest I did not make much work, I just continued to make more of my slip cast bowls. I did have the opportunity to shadow the art handlers at the speed this week, which brought me a lot of joy.
The head prep allowed me to touch a piece !! it was very cool to feel trusted enough to handle a piece of art. Sadly I could not photograph because my hands were literally full, but I did grab an image of this little pig.
They were moving work around in order to take photographs for grants apparently. It was very interesting to see what art handlers would be doing in between show installs.
Later in the week one of the guys came up to the front desk and work and offered to show me the wood shop in the garage basement ! He emphasized that it would be necessary for me to learn wood working if I want to seriously be an art handler.
Overall, everyone has been so kind on my art handling journey. I definitely am down with all the physical labor that is needed for the job, but want to have more skills to back that up.
Exciting times in the world of drewsceramics. Ya boy finally finally finished a piece !
My little freaks were joined as one. I ended up building them on the kiln shelf with some patties underneath the feets. Overall height ended up being 2ft4in ! My goal was 3ft but the work ended up being so precarious I am glad it is a bit smaller than that.
I am very happy with the texture this ended up being. I just smoothed the surface a ton with my little red rib. I also took Brian Harper's advice and used the rasp on these to create a nice form with fewer undulation's. Truly no clue how I will finish it. But I was chatting with an artist friend, talking about confused I am with surfacing. And it was so simple but he looks at me and says something like, your work isn't about the surface its about the form. So right. My work is all about the form so why am I letting the surface stress me out ? I might just give it a simple clear glaze or a wisp of clear resin. Just something to make it alive, nothing much. Keep it simple silly.
Divas, here is the result of my cone 10 firing !
my titties turned out absolutely incredible. From left to right is the celedon, liz kraus shino, temples persimmon, and the iron saturate ! I also made one with rutile blue, however I posted it on my story and it immediately sold for $25 hell yeah baby.
Now here are all my bowls... After making 15 only 13 survived the process of the kiln firing. Only 5 out of the 13 turned out as I wanted them to. According to bestie Brian Harper, what happened was I glazed too quickly. Since these are slip-cast bowls they are thin as hell. I pour the mackenzie white into the inside of the bowl. I did that to all 13, then after I finished I dipped the bowls into the Hensley clear to glaze the outside. But because the inside of the bowl it had absorbed a bunch of water, so when I went to glaze the outside the clay wasn't able to absorb the glaze, causing these gross black blisters to form on the outside of the bowls
So I am going to have to remake all of them hahaha. I mean also the underglaze turned green in the firing, which I don't hate but I think I will go back to using the black slip and just spray it instead of brushing it on. I will also do the inside of the bowls. Wait a day, then glaze the outside ! I was rushing this entire process but at least I learned.