Semester Update (Week 3 of Classes)
Finished my Cetaphil bottle mold and created my own Cum label. I used the Cetaphil bottle and some tracing paper to traced the C (and created the U and M) using the Cetaphil font. I then used some graphite paper to transfer the design onto my finished bottles.
Here are three of my mold pulls. The first couple of pieces were too thick due to my slip being too thick, and since then I have over-corrected and the pieces have been too thin. I've decided to keep all of them to give away and also practice my line work. Overall I am happy with how these have turned out. I think the mold is fantastic I love the detail of the wording on the base of the pump and the thin little label/sticker. I've learned patience from this project, they need 22 minutes of slip pouring and about two hours of sitting before I pull them out. I've found calm in making these, the repetitive nature of making has been very enjoyable for me.
Speaking of mold making, with all the slip I have I decided to do some searching in the IUS studio and found this mold labeled "cupie" and to my absolute delight they contained a kewpie doll ! The mold has the head separate from the body separate from the two arms and two legs. I've known about kewpie dolls because of delicious kewpie mayo (Japanese mayonnaise) as well as kewpies being common in tattoo culture. For some reason I was absolutely compelled to pour some slip and make some babies.
These are two of the kewpie dolls that have been put together, I used some underglaze to give them their traditional faces and added some brown bear glaze for the hair. I decided I want to tattoo these babies with stupid and silly little stick n poke style tattoos. I am interested in making these cuties a bit sexy with the labels "fucktoy." I've been enjoying working on these and seeing how I can take a mold of a well known icon and make it my own.